Sunday, July 8, 2012

Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

I have a confession: I find red velvet cake to be somewhat gimicky (I am also confused as to the appeal of funfetti cake which is also flavorless). It never tastes like anything, and when this fact is presented people pretty much always respond with "That's true, but I really like cream cheese frosting." So it seems as though we are all eating tasteless cake just to get cream cheese frosting when really we could plop the frosting on a number of other types of cake that actually taste like something.

But, I came across a recipe from America's Test Kitchen (the holy grail for most any recipe) and decided if they couldn't win me over, nobody could.
Had to add some blue sprinkles as these were made for a belated 4th of July party!
Analysis of the Cake
I have to admit, this was the best red velvet cake I've had to date. Well played America's Test Kitchen, well played. I'm not necessarily convinced enough that I would incorporate it into my regular rotation, but it was winning enough that if someone requested red velvet cake, I would at least have some delicious ammunition to win them over with.
Velvety and Red, just the way they should be
The Yays
  • The finished cakes had the prettiest dark red color which was exciting because I've definitely made red velvet before that had kind of a tinge to it which is always disappointing
  • They actually tasted like something! I'd have to go back and compare recipes but off the top of my head my I thought it was due to the buttermilk, vinegar, and cocoa powder a flavored cake was born unto us. But, after a brief google search for red velvet cake every recipe has these. So I am somewhat dumbfounded as to the how and why, but all I know is it actually tasted like something instead of a flavorless cake so win.
  • The finished product was super moist and the flavor did hold its own well against the cream cheese frosting, one did not out compete the other
  • I managed to get no red food coloring on anything which is a huge win for me. My clothes, towels, and the rest of my kitchen are intact (this has more to do with my ability to avoid an accident than anything the cake did, but knowing my track record with accidents this is a big deal.)
Inside view of the deep red hue
 The Nays
  • Still not completely sold on the whole red velvet trend, but again now I have a decent recipe in my repetoire.
Overall Impression: Somewhere between meh and ohmuhlord
 
Analysis of the Frosting
I used America's Test Kitchen's cream cheese frosting (might as well keep with the theme) and while it was good, I have to say I think I've made better. It's been awhile since I've made cream cheese frosting so I may not be remembering it quite right (guess I'll just have to do some taste testing ;) ). I feel that previous recipes I've made have been a little tangier, which I like. However this particular recipe was a good blend of cream cheesy and sweet and also looked like a fluffy white cloud of heaven. My one complaint, and this is of all cream cheese frosting, is that I have a hard time piping it with the star tip because it's just a little too soft/unstructured. But, seeing as how that's just a texture thing in the future I would not use the star tip to frost with (problem solving at it's finest).
Fluffy happy fun times


Overall Impression: Somewhere closer to ohmuhlord but still not quite there

Well team that concludes another adventure is seeking out the best recipes of treats known to man. Next up on the quest: a birthday request of lemon cake with lemon frosting. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment